Tuesday, August 31, 2010

An Eyelash

Sometimes in this bumpy life,
I feel like I've got an eyelash stuck in my eye.
It's a terribly helpless feeling, being blind and in pain.
Just one
little hair...
And as tears come into my eyes, to wash it out, I wonder what's the use of eyelashes at all.
They're supposed to protect,
To keep foreign objects out.
And they keep my eyes safe,
Till they turn and fall into them...


A good friend tells me when
I've got an eyelash
that's loose
and wobbly
and waiting to poke me right
in the pupil.

Sometimes I need to be told that my defenses
the nets I keep around me
are about to hurt me.
That the tiny hairs I trusted
will only cause irritation
That I need to wipe them away
And let the light hit my eyes
Let it in
All the way in.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I'm speechless
    with liking this so
    so much.
    I love it, in fact.
    "And let the light hit my eyes
    Let it in
    All the way in."
    Wow....yes, yes, yes.
    Me, too!
    Oh, let it be.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete